Rants. Raves. T-shirts. All observations on the peculiarity of Provo life.

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Textbook Idiocy

We all know the bookstore rips you off in a thousand ways. Thats not really what this post is about, although if you'd like to vent and rant on that, by all means, I'm %100 behind you. This is about the accompanying idiocy of the whole industry.

Exhibit A. The Software License Agreement

I'd like you to read the notices on the bottom. On the left, the warning that in essence reads, "IF YOU USE THIS DISC, WE WON'T BUY IT BACK!" Wonderful, Thank you so much. But more particularly, take notice of the warning on the right. "DO NOT REMOVE CD-ROM until you have read the enclosed Software License Agreement." Would all you kids out there in cyberspace like to know where the said Software License Agreement is? It's INSIDE THE ENVELOPE. BEHIND THE DISC.

Lets review. I'm supposed to read the document inside the envelope before I open the envelope. If I open the envelope before I read the document inside it, I am legally bound by that document and can no longer sell back the book for anywhere near its real value.

Exhibit B.
The Textbook Sell-back


I decided to get on the Interweb and sell back my book to the world. One of the sights wouldn't accept ANY of my textbooks, but made sure to remind me to check back often. Right. So I tried another site, and was left with nothing but infinite madness. See Picture for explanation.

Exhibit C. We should see a lot more of this

Exhibit D. Who is Write?

I'm almost positive my freshman Chemistry teacher chose our textbook based on the mention of his name in the "thank-you" portion in the back of the book. Not based on it's usability, not based on it's price. Along the same lines, "New Editions" of things like Math, Science, and even History Books. Have these subjects really changed so much in the last year that we need a whole new text? Another one, Textbooks with worksheet tear-outs in them. This is a scam to make the book un-usable after one semester. Do teachers and faculty, at even this university, think it's okay to try and squeeze more money out of the students? Because thats the only thing I can see here.

Okay, so maybe I'm a little pessimistic. I'm sorry, I just don't like losing money.

Addendum 1: Thought this was pertinent to our conversation here. Just saw it in Popular Science.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I paid $480 for four used textbooks, one new one, and a packet this semester. If you're in the Marriott School of Management Integrated Core (15 credits in an envelope schedule) be prepared to shell out the big bucks.

A friend in my same classes bought his online and saved $200 bucks. To say I felt like a complete moron is an understatement. I just wanted to get my books and not have to think about it, but I would say the internet is worth the time and effort (just think "I'll have $200 extra").

SOME WEAK BUT FEASIBLE SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE FOREWARD THINKERS WHO PREPARE FOR A SEMESTER A COUPLE WEEKS IN ADVANCE:

- the textbook exchange
bookexchange.byu.edu

- AbeBooks.com

- Amazon.com

- eBay.com

- Half.com

- theTextbookGuy.com

By the way, I took ECON 110 and Prof. Kearl explained why he had rip-out textbook pages. He said that when you purchase a new book you also purchase the ability to sell it back. Therefore, the book is actually more expensive if you can sell it back. His book (which is huge) I think goes for $60 to $70 dollars, whereas other Econ books go for around $110-$120 (I'm pulling these numbers out of my head, don't quote me on it). So basically, you save $50 but have to keep the book. It costs less initially but more in the long run (assuming you CAN sell it back and the edition isn't updated).

The best we can do is buy and sell online. When the publishers stop making money from bookstores and more money from "economy" editions found online, they will stop gouging us.

And if you can only get your specific book at the bookstore, TOUGH LUCK, that's the way it goes.

Brooklyn said...

Awkward. I have that very Allyn and Bacon CD. 101?