Rants. Raves. T-shirts. All observations on the peculiarity of Provo life.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

This Blog is Written on Borrowed Time

I have extremely taxed on my time lately. I apologize if your orders have been behind, that is entirely my fault. But bear with me, I'm thinking through something.

I've frequently felt that there is more to do than there is time to do it. And thats not just because my mother used to always say things to that effect, I've made the observation independent of her. So I decided to crunch some numbers.

I listed the things I am called upon, obliged, expected, or otherwise required to do in a week. Don't get me wrong, I like some of these things, but that doesn't' change the fact that they are a need in one way or another, they are requisite.

With 168 hours in a week, here is how I broke it down.

Is it just me, or is this absurd? Just under 7 1/2 hours to use your life as you'd like. I am sure I've left out very important things as well. Family time (FHE). Ward activities. Service. Tests. Laundry. Cleaning my room. My car. I'm sure you can think of more. Maybe blogging.

And you know what? I'd like to enjoy myself on occasion, and it seems like thats almost impossible without nixing something important. I'd like to listen to music. I'd like to even make some. Same with movies. And T-Shirts. Heck, I'd like to spend some time in the week doing nothing, just thinking. But that doesn't seem like an option. Please people, tell me I'm wrong, tell me theres a better way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not writing to solve your problem, but rather "mourn with those that mourn."

I'm taking 18 credits and work 12 hours a week. I also exercise every morning at 6 am for an hour to prepare to run a marathon in Salt Lake City in April. I tried to join a club but quit because it was too much. Thank goodness I don't have a girlfriend or a difficult church assignment (I'm not even joking, I can't imagine how I'd cope).

Bottom line is: you have to have free time. The crazy thing is, if I don't allocate it out for myself, I'll create it anyway. I was studying all day yesterday for a test today and got home at 11:30 pm. I started chatting with my roommates and was up until 1:00 am screwing around. And yes, I got up at 6 to work out, even though I know the sleep would've helped me with the test tonight . . .

So . . . my only suggestion is, allocate an hour out of everyday to do something fun, for yourself.

What you said about music really "struck a chord" with me (excuse the pun). Sometimes I'll just pick up my guitar and screw around for 15 minutes and it makes me feel better.

Maybe this is "senioritis" talking, but if there's a small assignment you don't want to do, don't do it. Who cares?! Do what you have to, perform adequately, then do what you like. That's what I say . . .

Anonymous said...

How much time did you spend making that excel doc. stressing about lack of time?

Admin said...

Listen, Angela, that is beside the point. The problem will never get managed if I never take the time to analyze it.

Anonymous said...

I think you should hook up with a hot chick, that salves all your wounds.