Rants. Raves. T-shirts. All observations on the peculiarity of Provo life.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Dating Game

I haven't been feeling the creative juices lately, so I am going to go ahead and steal a previous post of mine from one of my other blogs. I think it is still very relevant, and hopefully all will enjoy.

In a recent late night conversation with a friend, I stumbled across a beautiful gem of knowledge. (It seems that my greatest insight tends to come when I am least in control of my faculties.)

We were both commented on the ridiculous nature of the dating game, and how we wished it could be avoided. I mean, imagine it?! What if you could just tell someone you liked them, and they would either say, "Oh, I like you too." or "No, not really." Then you could just be like, "Oh, cool." and then you could move things in the right direction, be it towards or away.

But instead...
  • You have to try and use subtle tactics. That way you don't expose yourself to the enemy.
  • You are prohibited from saying what you are actually thinking. If you were to do this, you would automatically be considered "weird" and you may be relegated to "undateable" status.
  • Mind games.
  • Doubt.
It is all just so miserable.

However, there are a couple of problems with the idea of not playing the game. For one, everyone would have to stop playing it. If half are playing, and half aren't, it would cause an even bigger mess. This is when I had my epiphany.


JUMANJI

My mind jumped immediately to the movie Jumanji staring Robin Williams. It seems that my subconscious had already drawn the connection between the two evil games. You see, in both of them the only way the game will ever end is if you keep playing till you reach the finish.

There is no quitting.

2 comments:

photogenic said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
photogenic said...

Come to think of it there are some rather disturbing parallels between Jumanji and my dating life.